Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:35:35 -0500
On 8/23/2011 4:02 PM, Amelia Ann Dick wrote:
> Hello to All - I am wondering how many of you out there experienced the
> rare 5.9 magnitude earthquake centered in Mineral, Virginia at
> approximately 1:46 p.m. this afternoon?  I live in Smithfield, Virginia
> which is about 121 miles away from the epicenter.  The shock waves lifted
> or rolled my home.  This rocking and rolling went on for approximately 20
> seconds.  I actually felt dizzy.  Reports state it could be felt as far
> north as New York City or farther into Canada.  Also, as far south as
> South Carolina.  I am curious and would appreciate your reply if the earth
> moved for you today.
>
> Amelia Ann Dick  (Amy)
> Smithfield, Virginia

> click leave the list.
No one heard about this one - looks like North America is bobbing up and
down on magma! :-)

Magnitude    5.3
Date-Time

     Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 05:46:19 UTC
     Monday, August 22, 2011 at 11:46:19 PM at epicenter
     Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location    37.070°N, 104.700°W
Depth    4 km (2.5 miles)
Region    COLORADO
Distances    15 km (9 miles) WSW of Trinidad, Colorado
33 km (20 miles) NW of Raton, New Mexico
54 km (33 miles) S of Walsenburg, Colorado
290 km (180 miles) S of DENVER, Colorado

But please log into this site and give your inputs.  It helps the
scientists determine
a number of faults and plates in the region.  More data means better
results.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/se/082311a/us/index.html

I used to study the strata of the US, mostly the Gulf States.  So this
stuff in instructive.
Odd how across the U.S. there is another event.  Makes one wonder if
there is a connection
through a plate or something is jabbing both at near the same time. 2
hours earlier.

Wonder if the great caldera is getting active and shoving the N.A. plate
around.

We shall see in the coming months.

Martin

Martin