From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:11:05 -0400
For those of you who were interested- the anticipated further large
specimens at this locality  were  surprisingly very few in number, with
virtually no fresh or live examples of any size  on my last few visits,
which postdated our storms (Irene, Lee). Surprised by this, I finally went
over to Zachs Bay (less than a mile from the first location as the crow
flies, though about 3 miles away along a jagged shoreline between the two
bays):  when Haminoea are around they are always plentiful at Zachs Bay.
There on  9/17 I was able to find  hundreds of fresh dead and less fresh
dead shells (apparently a bit late for the live ones?), but they were all
in the typical/standard size distribution, with a few larger ones in the 16-
17mm size range, but greatly outnumbered by smaller ones. None were in the
size range I described earlier at the other location. Possibly some
interesting variability between the two populations despite their
proximity.