From:
"Batt, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:43:26 -0500
Actually, if you look at the inner lip of the specimen figured, it has narrow white "teeth" separated by wider black areas, just like in typical C. variegata.  If you look at C. tritonis that species has narrow dark areas separated by significantly wider light colored "teeth" - somewhere I learned that is the main diagnostic feature separating the two species.  I recently acquired (from an old collection) a specimen from Cuba that looks very similar to the figured specimen (same shape), being light-weight, almost translucent, and with an almost golden/yellowish cast (not a true "golden" color form of variegata, though).  I have also previously heard that sometimes specimens of "true" tritonis do turn up in western Atlantic waters, but to me this one doesn't look like one.  I do have specimens of "true" variegata from the Mediterranean, though.  I also acquired years ago a specimen of tritonis from Hawai`i that if it weren't for the inner lip pattern might be mistaken for a variegata...  The two species probably didn't separate all that long ago from whatever common ancestor there was: maybe before the creation of the Panama land bridge barrier about 3 mya there was an open enough flow that had allowed larvae to be transported between the two oceans, but after Panama formed and circulation was cut off, the Atlantic group (including those transported to the Mediterranean) diverged to become variegata?.  Anyways, even though to me it looks like a variegata, it does look like a distinct subpopulation variation.  Or, since specimens of tritonis do occasionally make it into the West Atlantic, could there be some hybridization going on?

Anyways, just some thoughts.

- Rick Batt