From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:40:16 -0500
Dear all,
I tend to disagree.  When thorough revisions of a group are completed the
trend is usually as follows:  Some older names are indeed synonomized with
each other leading to a reduction in recognized taxa from the literature.
However, if the researcher is wise enough to check various museum
collections or actually do field work, numerous unrecognized, formerly and
incorrectly synonomized and/or previously uncollected species are located,
leading to an OVERALL INCREASE in the number of taxa in the group.  This
has happened time and time again in poorly or misunderstood groups.  I'm
not saying that this would happen if someone monographed the Strombidae
again.  Look at what's happening to the eastern US unionids.  Names are
being brought out of obscurity at a dizzying rate.  This will soon happen
with the Pleuroceridae of the SE US.  And don't even get me started on the
relatively few land snail groups that have thoroughly reviewed.

In short, I personally believe that we have barely scratched the scratch on
the surface.  100,000 is probably a low estimate, but in the case of
tropical land and freshwater (at least the micros) snails, we probably
won't get many collected before they are extinct.

Comments?

Kurt

At 10:05 PM 10/28/98 PST, you wrote:
>Dear Paul, dear others
>
>there might be about 120. 000 of counted names, but some
>of them are surely synonyma, so it's hard to get out how many
>species there are in realty without counting exactly and to have
>studied the synonyms. So I think there shuld be less than 100.000 species.
And I think splitters will have more species.