From:
Bernd Sahlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:18:31 +0100
Dear Listers,
please have a look to the following lines concerning the copyright status of
matters printed in a journal. The volume 26 of our journal was issued about
4 weeks ago and can be aquired at a low price from our museum or via
ConchBooks. We issue this journal completely on private costs.
Best regards
Bernd Sahlmann

Dear malacologists,
I was quite astonished to read that there was an open discussion to send
around pdf files of copyrighted just published materials (I'm writing this
as editor and publisher of the mentioned Morum-papers - therefore let me
help you a bit how to handle questions concerning new publications):
you should, please, neither ask for nor send pdf-files of copyrighted (!)
new publications in a newsgroup. Otherwise the editor/publisher could react
a bit angry.
The correct way to handle these questions is to contact the author and ask
whether he has got a paper-reprint of the article or an authorized pdf (in
many cases in a lower resolution) or to ask the publisher in order to buy an
article. You can also ask a public librarian whether there is an official
way to get a copy via the library.
But, please, do not use illegal pdf and please, absolutely do not spread it,
otherwise the publishers would complain that the copyright was violated and
especially the larger commercial editors/publishers would take legal
actions.
Any publisher will be excited seeing you in a discussion of the scientific
results of his publications. So do your best in exchanging scientific
information, but, please, do it within the legal limits.
Best regards
yours Vollrath Wiese
(editor of Schriften zur Malakozoologie, [log in to unmask] )

Dr. Vollrath Wiese, Haus der Natur - Cismar (Natural History Museum)
Baederstrasse 26, D-23743 Cismar, Germany,  phone & fax 04366-1288
(international: ..49 4366 1288)
www.hausdernatur.de