From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2012 06:12:25 -0500
FYI for those not familiar with Collins work on aculeatus, previously
that spiny slipper shell was considered to be one species with a more
or less worldwide  distribution. Then genetic and other analysis
showed that in fact there is a whole complex with something like ten
apparent species with similar if not identical shells. i wound up
relabeling a whole lot of shells in my own collection! the name of the
florida shell however did not change.....