From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:38:08 -0500
Will anyone be checking for quality of the scans?  For old mollusk
publications, good-quality versions of the plates are particularly
important, but poor figure quality is probably the most common problem
in currently available scans.  Of course, there's also missed pages,
poor text quality, inappropriate digitization (such as turning a good
scan of a plate into an awful line drawing, see for example Google's
version of Cossmann and Pissaro's Iconographie Complete...), and the
apparent inability of Google to unfold a foldout.

Of course, publishers haven't always made things easy-multiple
versions of titles, plates tucked away at random intervals with
illustrations for multiple articles on a single plate, original errors
in pagination (the copy of Herrmannsen that I scanned not only has an
incorrect jump in the page numbers, but also somehow got one page
number printed upside down), etc.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM, John Wolff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Harvard is planning a single database for all US public domain books.
>
> http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/harvards-alternative-to-google-books

> click leave the list.

Dr. David Campbell
Visiting Professor