From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 14:42:42 -0500
my  induction into Marien's elite club  involved collecting in a
protected bay area on eastern long island New York  with another local
collector/COA member. We were, in fact, having a discussion of
extralimital shells and shell finds  at that very moment when, we
rounded a bulkhead and there at my feet at the water's edge was a
worn and algae covered specimen of the Florida/Caribbean Strombus
raninus.

that same collector had his own story-  of finding a slipper shell,
Crepidula fornicata in some woods nowhere near any seacoast while
exploring terrestrial natural history. I think he also said the shell
was actually up in the  tree and/or on a tree limb.