Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:37:28 -0400
Thanks to all who answered my question.
 I was worried that I had found a typo in the year Woodring published, and that Wood might have been the abbreviation for his name.  Also, thanks for the heads up of where to look for this information.

To my knowledge there is no longer a shell club here in the Phoenix area (the libraries I've checked with don't know of any). So Conch-L is my source to go to.

---- [log in to unmask] wrote:

=============
No Wood 1828 refers to William Wood's Index Testaceologicus: or a
Catalogue of Shells British and Foreign. There are 2300 illustrations, all
postage stamp sized but quite detailed.

There was also a supplement with eight plates published as well. It was
titled Supplement to the Index Testaceologicus: or a Catalogue of Shells
British and Foreign. This has 480 illustrations; as with the main work,
all are postage stamp sized.

> I have a question regards these two references of authors.
>
> I have come across many species and some genera authored by Wood, 1828.
> I occasionally find something authored by Woodring 1928.
>
> Right now I'm trying to determine the correct notation for the genus
> Psilaxis, family Architectonicidae.
> WoRMS credits Woodring 1928, and most other sources, such as Wiki.., use
> their site for the authority.
>
> But I am wondering if Wood is an accepted abbreviation for Woodring, or if
> there are actually a Wood, who published in 1828, and Woodring, who
> published in 1928. Looks like the year might be a typo if they are one and
> the same.
>
> Can anyone help me?  Also, please copy any replies to my email address,
>
> Peggy, I'm cc-ing you in case my note doesn't get through to conch-l list.

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine