From:
Leslie Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:55:04 -0600
The largest Whelk I am aware of is a Busycon perversum from off Panama City, Florida, collected in shallow water (<3 ft) by Edward Schelling and his daughter Sandy, in about the mid 1970's.
Over 900 mm, yes, over 36 inches...  I saw it (and heard the story) in his shop back in the late 1980s.  It is probably in Sandy's home now.

Leslie