From:
Jos & Patty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 22:10:18 +1100
Carol and others,

the documentary you most likely saw was 'Cane toads', a half hours or so,
multi-award winning film which I think was made by the Australian ABC, but
I am not sure about the latter.

The cane toad was introduced into Australia to control cane grub attacks,
but it was a momumental failure (after a very successful introduction of a
moth to control the also introduced prickly pear cactus)

Do you remember the scene where a guy in a VW van is driving all over the
road to attempt to kill the beasts that are out by the 100's? That's the
part of Australia where we've just moved from. I could never get myself to
do the same though.

Their ugliness, Kurt, is a product of the warty appearance and the
knowledge of what it is doing to the native fauna. If the cane toad was a
native, I would probably have thought it was beautiful, just like the giant
green tree frogs.

Enough about this non-shell subject.

Patty