From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:58:43 -0500
Hi Jim,

I remember that back in the heyday of C and S Shell Cabinet auction
they sometimes had what were clearly pulmonates, or land/freshwater
shells with the data for the shells online showing they were collected
at considerable depth. I remember skeptically asking a few experienced
collectors at the time (though i don't remember who exactly I asked)
and several said that small shells of such species could wash into the
ocean from their typical habitats and sink to the bottom and/or
otherwise get carried out/down by currents and wind up there, to later
be taken in nets or whatever.....I have to say that the more plausible
explanation in my mind was that the data was in error; it seemed
utterly implausible to me for lightweight  things like Physa or
Melanoides, which were some of those  auction shells I remember....
I'll be curious to see if anybody on here has actual experience with
purported means of transport from shallows to depth, and/or finding
species like that at depth away from the shoreline.

Steve