From:
makuabob <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:19:15 -0500
To Any Interested Cowry Collectors and/or Workers:

The first two phases of THE CAPTURED COWRY's archive of
HAWAIIAN SHELL NEWS (HSN) New Series Number articles
dealing with cowries or closely related genera plus
other related things (like the meanings of Latin cowry
names, discussions dealing with collecting, and what-
ever else caught my eye) have been completed and posted.

The first 64 issues' articles are at
http://members.xoom.com/makuabob/

The next twenty-two (through New Series #87) are at
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/5867/

The next phase of uploads will be to my own homepage area
at oaktree.net.  A number of large files will be off-
loaded to make room. The .avi and animated .gif files will
go first, followed by the database files. Any wishing
unfettered access to these should act soon.

There is lots of good browsing in the articles - some neat
tales about expeditions, simple dive trips that produce
shelling 'bonanzas,' some hyped-up 'sea stories,' and
basic research. The only articles not included that mention
cowries were 'want to trade' sections and "The Golden Cowry
Register" (which may be added later). (If I've missed some-
thing -- and that's possible -- let me know.)

The index page for each site has the New Series # followed
by the article(s') title(s) as the hyperlink to its page plus a
brief phrase (sometimes whimsical) about the article.
Also, I've tried to indicate if an article has images, maps, plots,...
As much as possible, references to other HSN New Series #
articles (about cowries) have been hyperlinked for quick
access. As time becomes available, more 'threads' will be
introduced.

The first 'thread' is about who thought who should collect what,
if at all. It starts at
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/5867/NSN074CY.HTM#E

Enjoy, and feel free to make suggestions and comments.

Aloha,

makuabob (a.k.a. Bob Dayle)