From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:40:27 -0500
Jorge,
Only one genus comes to mind right now, but there are probably others.  The
genus Mcleania from Hispaniola/also maybe Puerto Rico has projections along
the periphery.  The shells are small, 5-8 mm in  diameter and very rare in
private collections.  I think there are two or three species, darlingtoni
being one, not sure of the others.  Clench described darlingtoni, I think
as the type species of the genus.  Thompson described another species in
the 1970's, can't remember the name.  There may be another species, but I
believe it's undescribed from Hispaniola.  They are in the family Sagdidae,
oops, maybe the Thysanophoridae.  Don't have literature here at this office.

Many other land snails in numerous families have projections along the
periphery, but these are periostracal in origin.  These may range from
thick and stiff projections to long hair-like filaments.  Very few snails
have the shelly projections seen in numerous marine species.  I don't know
why this is.  One of those many mysteries of life, I guess.  Kind of like
how microwave ovens work.

Reading over the above, I realize I present a lot of unknowns and partial
data.  But, as we say in the South, "It's better than a poke in the eye
with a sharp stick".  I realize this statement probably loses a lot in
translation into the various languages present on this list, but a truism
is impossible to debate.  I'll leave it at that.

Have a great weekend.

Kurt