From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:19:18 -0400
>Hi David,
>As per your message below, I am simply going by what is in the Rombouts
>Pecten book which describes Euvola raveneli (Dall, 1898) on page 39. If it
>is just in the process of being described, what is it doing in the book? I
>admit that I am not very sophisticated when it comes to the formal science,
>so I just go on the best information I have. Maybe you can elaborate on
>what the difference is between the species in the book and the species in
>the process of getting described. I find this enormously confusing (but
>then I find a lot of things rather confusing).

The Recent species called Euvola raveneli in many references has not been
formally described and given a scientific name, because everyone thought it
was raveneli.  The Recent species has been known about for years, and the
descriptions in Rombouts, Abbott, etc. under the name "raveneli" refer to
the modern species.  However, Dall based the name on the fossil, and so the
living one needs a formal description.  I believe Tom Waller is working on
it.

David Campbell

"Old Seashells"

Department of Geological Sciences
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
USA

919-962-0685
FAX 919-966-4519

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug