From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:11:57 PDT
Dear Conchlers,

In our collection we have about 2400 species and subspecies in
more than 155 000 specimens, all from Europe as well as inlandshells
as marine shells from the Mediterranean and Atlantic, including
a lot of microshells.
For reasons of place I'll keep the land-, freshwater- and marine shells
separated,  but all are well sistemated in sistematical order
and in order after dates (self collected or traded, collected by other
persons), beginning from our starting in 1960. Each lot of shells (from
1 specimens - xxxx specimens / species) of every year has it's own number beginning from 1960 / 0001up to the last number from 1960, the next years starting again with number 0001, so 1961 / 0001 or 1998 / 0001 and ending with the latest number of every year. I keep the shells in plastikboxes with different sizes, the microshells again in glass tubes. For the landshells I have paperboxes made exactly for the plasticboxes, where I can put 32 plasticboxes (of the smaller ones) into these. Then on each paperbox is written the family with an adhesive label. So I may have several paperboxes with Fam. Cochlostomatidae,
Vertiginidae, Clausiliidae, Hygromiidae, Helicidae etc., all stapled
(stored) on of the others (mostly 4 up to 7 in a staple) in a wooden
cupboards. The marine shells I'll keep too in plasticboxes of
different sizes and in drawers of other cupboards. For the name and
all disponible datas for the shells my mother uses "yearbooks"
and I have again the databases on the computer with the related
numbers.
best greetings from Innsbruck
Helmut

Helmut Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
url: www.netwing.at/nisters/

or

Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
malacological collection
Feldstr. 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86-37

----------
>#3.  Just out of "curiosity" - do any of you - just off the top of your heads
>- know how many shells (both quantity and specimen count) you currently have?

I have roughly 200 individual specimens, with about 50 species represented.
The majority come from Naples/Sanibel Florida (US) with some from North
Carolina and Maine (US)

So far, I have been satisfied with a geographical arrangement. All my
Florida shels are together, etc. But then, I haven't collected from too many
places. If my collection grows, after buying a new house to fit them, I
would probably arrange them by species since I'm intersted in diversity
within species.

Now, how many fossils do I have....
and let's not forget all those rocks...

Elizabeth