From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:16:06 -0500
Barbara Haviland wrote:

> We are glad to see that there is hope for shell collectors with the many
>
> Ross Mayhew asked earlier who is the oldest, well, can you top this one?
>
> Ed turned 85 yesterday, March 2, and I asked when he got his first
> shells--answer from Pilsbry at the Philadelphia Museum, shells with data at
> the age of 6.  Can anyone top this one?
>
> I know how the use the delete key very well after this week, but I think
> that this pig thing is a phase, and just delete if you don't want to read
> the stuff.  CONCH-L  a wonderful  thing for collectors, but we can get off
> track--try to stay on track--there is so much to be learned.
>
> B. Haviland
Barbara: Our daughter started collecting shells at the age of two.  We
use to drag her down the beach and she would collect Epitonium tinctum
off of the sea anemones on the rocks.  She also began learning on the
latin names at that age.  We put a special glass enclosed book case in
her room and she exhibited her shells there.  She was always proud to
show her friends and to take them to school later on.  By the time she
got to high school and took marine biology...when the teacher got to the
section on molluscs..she would let Denise take over the class.
She also exhibited in shell shows during her Jr. Hi. and Sr. Hi. years
and won many awards.
She still uses her shells in her classroom.  She teaches science to 7th
graders and hopes to start a marine biology class in the private school
where she teaches.
She used shells in speech class, humanities class, etc.
Bobbi