From:
Philip Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 09:40:46 -0500
Hello and thanks for the response.
Let me give you a bit of the history I know regarding this species in
Florida. Russell collected it with algal tufts on limestone rocks in the
Hillsborough River (freshwater) near Tampa.  I could not find the species
there. About twenty years ago, Dr. Ed Petuch sent me a preserved pair he'd
collected at Student Lake (freshwater) at the University of Miami. They no
longer exist there.
I believe that N. clenchi is a freshwater species,  larger than N. virginea
and somewhat variable in color as is N. virginea, with an operc and
parietal area that differ in color from N. virginea.
I've visited Matheson Hammock and found N. virginea there. One collector I
know has collected there and has, it would appear, sorted out the black
forms and wholesaled them as N. clenchi. I think this has led to some
confusion.
Any other ideas?