From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2021 19:51:01 -0400
I am trying to find out more information about a "family" of shell
collectors who were active between the 1940's and 1950's with the
last name of Monroe.  According to a catalog of a shell collection in
which they are mentioned as the field collectors of many of the
shells are H.H. Monroe, E.H. Monroe and J.B. Monroe.

They seem to have been contemporaries of John Finlay and Tom McGinty
among others.  H.H. Monroe collected in Florida; Puerto Rico; Cuba;
Trinidad and other islands of the West Indies; Caribbean and Pacific
Panama; Mexico; and also in the Philippines and other locations.

I did not find anyone named Monroe in the American Malacologists
directory nor by an extensive Web search.  On the Biodiversity
Heritage Library there is only one mention of H.H. Monroe ... for a
shell this person collected and cited in a paper on Thala by J. Leal,
et al. in the Nautilus, but no additional information.

I would be grateful if anyone has a lead on where I can learn more
about the Monroe's either in print or if you can shed some light on
who they were, where they were from, etc.

Many thanks,
Rich G.