From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:34:34 -0400
Dear all,

I sure hate to detract from the "Nisters Crisis," nor take time away from
all the bickering (I get enough of that at work, thank you), but as I am
going to the Bahamas (Bimini and vicinity) in July and would like to find
some Pectens, is there anything anyone could tell me about the habits and
habitat of such excellent species as P. ziczac, ravenelli and even
(possibly) N. nodosus in the Bahamas. The last time I posted a message
regarding P. (or more accurately) Euvola ziczac, we got off on a tangent
regarding fossil records and whether ravenelli is even an acceptable
species. Humor me and let us assume that it is: What can anyone tell me
about these scallops. The first two are listed in most of the literature as
being common (at least locally), yet I have only heard of one specimen
being found recently (a ziczac). Also, what are the chances of my
encountering a Cymatium parthenopeum in the Bahamas. I know they are found
somewhat regularly in the Florida panahandle area (particularly around
Panama City, though I have never -- yet -- been lucky enough to find one),
but the range is essentially world wide. Let's discuss this for a while
rather than whether someone is quitting the list. I know it will surely be
more helpful to me in July!

Thanks in advance (wish I was at COA),
Jim

Jim Miller