From:
Epitonium <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 20:18:34 EST
At the risk of offending a lot of people, I have decided to heed the advice of
a fellow Conch-L'er and air my feelings about a few things.  Lots of folks
couldn't care less.

This probably has nothing to do with the recent controversy that has people
knocking each other like balls across a tennis net......people who are
supposedly friends involved in a common interest--shells.  Why do friends
treat friends like this?  Does it involve competition in shell shows?

This is my point--and I realize I will probably make a lot of "winners" out
there mad.  But why do we have shell shows and compete against each other for
trophies?  Isn't the idea of a shell show to educate the public?  Does it
matter who wins a trophy?  Do they educate the public "MORE"?

I don't think so!  The people who win the trophies are the ones who are (l)
able to travel the world to collect these "winners" or (2) pay some dealer
(unscrupulous or not) to supply them with these shells so they can win!!!

Please don't misunderstand me--this is not sour grapes.  Someone who wins
these awards at these shell shows has a lot of time (and money) invested in
their exhibits.

I believe that there are more politics involved in  competitive shell shows
than goes on in Washington, DC.  (Please forgive me, winners.)

What am I leading up to?  I guess I really don't know.  As I said, I've seen
the hurt, sarcasm, name calling and everything else that has gone on lately on
this List.  Do I think my feelings about competition at shell shows will make
any difference?  Probably not, but I do feel it's time for intelligent people
to get their "stuff" together.  Let's enjoy our hobby (to most of us it's a
hobby) stop being competitive, dive, snorkel, walk the beach, buy from
dealers, whatever.  But when it comes to displaying what we have, let's don't
have this "cut throat" intelligence that says "WIN at ANY COST!"

My suggestion to stop this madness is to "Exhibit-and Educate-not Compete."

Thanks--I got it off my chest!

Carol