From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:45:53 -0400
Bob,
The comments were probably not meant to actually hurt anyone.  They just
indicated a lack of understanding of museumology in general.  We once had a
Director, Yes a Director, who said he wanted 80% of the research material
on display.  He's no longer with us.  Being a malacologist, one of my
observations was, boy, 80% of our hydrobiids and cerithiopsids is going to
make one hell of an exhibit!  Also, those who are familiar with museum
collections know that, and I use this only as one example, not one of our
1.5 cases of Spondylus is really of exhibitionary quality.  We usually have
to go to the private sector for such goodies.

Kurt