From:
Tim Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:22:07 -0500
Dear Conch-L,
   I just responded to an individual who asked about smuggling land snails
into the USA as a pet. Below is an edited version of my response to explain
why we should all be concerned about controlling the introduction of Alien
invaders.
   I do want to encourage study of live snails, and to encourage captive
breeding efforts to help preserve land snails that are threatened in the
wild. However, I'm on the side of following the law with regard to
introducing species, and here is why. The bottom line is, introduced species
can have devastating effects, and prevention is far easier than eradication
later.
   I am sure you know about the introduced carnivorous Euglandina rosea
causing extinctions of the endemic snails on the Pacific Islands. Introduced
Pilidae are decimating rice crops in parts of Asia. Millions of dollars were
spent eradicating Achatina fulica from Florida in the late 1970s. An
introduced land snail (I think either Theba or Cernuella) in Australia has
made some wheat crops unharvestable, not because it eats them, but because
it climbs the wheat stalks and then gums up the harvesting machinery. The
list of tragedies goes on. Of course there must be many introductions that
have not survived. But how can we predict which ones will and which ones
won't cause extinctions or economic damage, or carry serious diseases, or
compete with us for our own food?
   I am sure that potential pet owners have the best intentions of keeping
alien snails under secure conditions, and disposing of waste soil or bedding
in ways (such as soaking in Clorox or baking in an oven) that would not
allow eggs or babies to escape. If so, then why not cooperate with the
regulatory agencies and get a permit? That way you will be legitimate, and
you will know you are complying with the regulations that are in place to
protect us all from alien invaders.
   I will not condone smuggling land snails into the country. It would be
bad news if you get caught, you might be introducing the next serious pest,
and from a humanitarian perspective, it would likely be inhumane to
transport a live snail in that manner.
   On the positive side, it might be that the snail species you wish to keep
is not regulated! If not, then you should easily be able to get the import
permits to import them, or maybe permits are not even required. I suggest
you contact Dr. David Robinson ([log in to unmask]) at the Academy of
Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, and also the Fish and Wildlife Service
(e.g., 410-865-2127, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Division of Law
Enforcement, Wildlife Inspection Office, 40 South Gay Street, Room 107,
Baltimore, MD 21202, Attn: "Inspector") to find out if your snail is
restricted, and what the regulations are.
   I applaud your efforts to help conserve some of our disappearing snail
species by captively breeding them. Please be sure that you don't endanger
any of our own species of plants and animals in the process.
   Best wishes,   -Tim-

Timothy A. Pearce, Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
Delaware Museum of Natural History
Box 3937, 4840 Kennett Pike        302-658-9111 x319
Wilmington, DE 19807-0937, USA    [log in to unmask]