From:
FISHERSCAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 00:45:36 EDT
Hello,

Time to add my two cents again.  I must admit that I keep quiet most of the
time because I view myself as a novice when it comes to shells.  However, the
topic of shell names has made me want to add a thought or so.

I certainly don't think of my shells by their proper latin names, I have
murexes, cones, cowries, and olives.  Yes, I know they have latin names, and
if really pressed I can come up with some of them.  But, I really must agree
that it is nice when a message contains both.  Those messages that have only
latin names, especially those I do not recognize at all, more often than not
just get a quick look and then I hit the next button.  I do sometimes look the
name up in one of my books to see what it is.  But that is generally when the
message itself stirs my curiosity.  Like most people, I am always busy and
most times I don't have the time I'd like to spend looking up shell names as I
go through my mail.  I know proper scientific identification requires exact
names, but I collect shells for fun.  I like knowing as much as possible about
my shells, but it is much easier for me to think of them by simple name,
instead of more complex ones.

Thanks for listening,
Cathie