From:
Jenny Scarboro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 18:27:00 -0500
Bottom line up front.  Flaming or disinviting people from Conch-L is out of
line.

I liked Stewart's story.  I agree it doesn't really cover shells and so
doesn't belong on a strictly-shell-oriented list -- remember, the list
manager has come on-line a few times before to address this policy.  Our
special sense of community  makes it acceptable to share off-subject
tidbits every once in a while.

There is something very unique about Conch-L; I've never seen it matched on
other lists.  It's called civil discourse.  It is the decent, adult
exchange of ideas and information, in a tolerant, polite forum.  In this
age of schoolyard snipers and Springer brawls, civil discourse is an
endangered form of expression.

I look forward to my daily dose of Conch-L humor, trivia, and insights
every time I log in to check my mail.  I enjoy the multitude of
personalities and viewpoints which otherwise I would never be privileged to
share without Conch-L.

Conch-L is a rarity, in that its members don't need to be wary of what they
post, however silly, stuffy, sentimental, erudite, or naive.  This list is
an open environment where all are welcome.  It is not a medium of revenge
for hardhearted people to spread the poison of a past slight, injustice, or
childish vendetta.

I don't care what Phil did with his olive.  Let's not stoop to the level.
Foolish words can have a very chilling effect on our warm, inviting Conch-L
climate.

Live and let live.  Carrying on this catfight in a public forum --
grandstanding -- is demeaning to everyone forced to witness it.  Take it
private or resolve it peaceably.

Shells, anyone?

Jenny

----------
> From: mark <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: To brighten your day
> Date: Saturday, 09 May, 1998 16:07 PM
>
> We only lost the boring and snobbish, the true die-hards are still here.
The
> new Conch-L has personality and  charisma. When i joined, anyone who
asked a
> stupid question was made to feel like an idiot, but i guess this was your
> version of paradise. You showed your true personality when approached by
> group of novice shellers on Peanut island, do you remember? When the
novices
> asked to see your "rare" olive you found you put your nose to the air,
> saying "NO" and walked away like a pompous "old-time" sheller you are.
This
> attitude is what keeps new blood from joining. This is not a Palm Beach
> Country Club, one needs not carry a degree nor be of blue blood just have
> healthy zeal for learning so if you mind the "human interest stories"
either
> slam the "delete" button or better yet just go away. FERRETER.
> "The middle of the road is a bastion of the damned" me

We've