From:
Jorge Bartolomeu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 21:29:22 +0100
At 23:00 25-05-1998 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Conch-L'ers,
>
>as traffic here is rather low these days I thought I might come up with an
>observation, which I made during my holydays in Marmaris (Turkey) two
weeks ago.
>I was wading through the ankle-deep water (too cold to get any deeper!),
>when I detected a Conus mediterraneus who obviously (and to my great
>surprise) was just eating up an Osilinus articulatus (Trochidae).
>Of course, if I were a Conus I surely would prefer consuming a mollusc
>instead of a worm, but all my books say, that C.mediterraneus feeds on
>polychaetes.   Now I wonder what made this "gourmet" change his diet.
>Anyone out there, who made a similar observation or knows of articles
>dealing with this?
>
>Christa
>

>Christa Schmidt
>Austria

Dear, Christa

        The individuals of Conus mediterraneus that I have in aquarium (for 4
months now) in fact are really voracious eaters of polychaetes. They can
eat up very big individuals of these "worms". I personally have never seen
them eat anything except "worms", but I have been told that they also feed
on bivalves.
        Hope this helps, bye-bye
        Carlos