Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:02:34 +0200
Dear Gladys,
let me add more to your confusion and cite Prof. Schilder who described C.
spurca sanctaehelenae:
"In the American acicularis ... the dorsum is fulvous to orange with the
lateral spots pale and less conspicuous than the ferrugineous lateral
pittings, while in sanctaehelenae ... from the Southern Central Atlantic the
dorsum is brown with the dark lateral spots relatively more acentuated."
So, the two subspecies, acicularis acicularis and acicularis sanctaehelenae,
are separated geographically and if you are sure that your shells were
collected in the Southern Central Atlantic (S. Helena I., Ascension I.) they
are undoubtedly acicularis sanctaehelenae.
Best regards
Eduard Heiman