From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 23:13:04 -0500
Hello!

Hi to All,

Well it is over (Whew!!).  Lotta work by a bunch of the most wonderful
folks around.  Bobbie Cordy ,again, organized a wonderful show.

The winners are!!! (those of you who do not like competition can push
delete, NOW!);

Masters Trophy- Gene (Dudley the Master) Everson for his Cone Shells
                Worldwide

COA Trophy - Lynda Zylman Jacaruso for Shells of Tobago

DuPont Trophy - Craig Caddigan (2nd year in a row) for Genus Harpa

Tucker Abbott Award - Gene Everson for Mitriform Mollusks (Self
                      Collected) also received "Kiss of Death"
                      (Judges Special Award)

Shell of the Show, Special - Craig Caddigan for a new un-named shell in
                             the Muricidae family

Shell of the Show, Fla Self Collected - Jim Cordy (Forgot to write down
                                        shell name, sorry.)

Shell of the Show, WW Self Collected  - Lynda Zylman Jacaruso for
                                        Pholadomya candida

Judges Special Award (K of D) - Sylvia Dominey for Shells on Stamps

Other superb exhibits such as my Zoila marginata (1st place single
species, YES!!!) won blue ribbons, red, yellow  etc etc

The Fossil trophy was NOT awarded because the in the judges opinion the
exhibits did not merit the award. (This does happen folks, gotta keep
the quality up.)

The crafters also won trophies and ribbons but I did not write them down
if you have a bit of patience I will post the complete list from Bobbie
Cordy in a couple of weeks on our club website.

There were over 600 linear feet of scientific exhibits and bunches of
the craft ones. (I do not mean to leave out craft info its just that I
am not into the cut shells and hot glue stuff.)

Next show in Florida is the Greater Miami show next weekend at the
Fountainbleu Hotel, Miami Beach and the week after is the Broward Show
at Pompano Beach Civic Center.  Do not miss these as the competition
will heat up for more trophies and ribbons.

Explanatory note:
The "Kiss of Death" as, the Judges Special Award, is referred to, is not
derogatory in any sense, it simply means that you were second in the
Judges eyes for the hardware ie COA or DuPont. It is a fun term of the
"Fellowship of Competitors"!

--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power