From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:06:33 -0400
I am simply NOT caught up on my mail, being in the throes of putting
together the September issue of American Conchologist, so if this is a
repeat of anyone's message to Conch-L, forgive me for the repetition:

American Malacological History was made in more ways than one at the joint
meeting of the AMU, WSM and Unitas Malacologia last month in Washington.  I
just received the following message from Donald Dan who attended that great
gathering of malacologists and conchologists from around the world:

>At the AMU membership meeting in Washington, D.C., an approval vote was given
>to change the name to American Malacological Society.  Apparently, the
>original name refers to a union of various shell clubs across the U.S. which
>is no longer true today.  Lynn, you may want to put this news on Conch-L, if
>nobody has already done it.
>
>AMS will continue to involve amateurs.  In fact, plans are in place to
include
>programs which will be attractive to amateur shell collectors at the
>Pittsburgh meeting next year.
>
>Donald Dan

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY