From:
Paul Mikkelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:10:18 -0400
Furthermore...
   Does anyone know absolutely and definitively that the subject eBay
seller does indeed sell fake/painted shells?  No names of people have
been mentioned that have actually been "burned" by fake/painted shells
purchased from this seller...    is this the forum to "point fingers"
without absolute data?

There are three sides to every story!  I don't know those who have
posted on this issue, nor do I know the eBay seller or the mysterious
bidder.  I offer some further thoughts simply for that purpose:
thought!    (and perhaps discussion and not to jump to conclusions
having heard one side of a story)

Other sellers (perhaps even "fake_and_painted_shell_connoisseur") COULD
be discouraging sales by "patricianashells" simply to assist in
directing sales to another/other shell dealers. It happens!...  it's
eBay!  Is it happening?  Who knows?

Playing the "devil's advocate", and looking at this story from a
different perspective, I offer some additional observations:

The eBay seller in question has sold items to 14 different eBay buyers.
The seller has also sold 34 items over the past 12 months.
The seller has a 100% positive feedback score...  100% of the sales went
satisfactorily according to the buyers!
The seller offers: "a very liberal return policy.  If you are not
entirely satisfied with our shells, you may return them to us within a
14-day period"

Having purchased 167 items on eBay, I feel that the seller has all the
features/attributes that I look for in a trusted eBay seller!  I do,
however, agree with Chris's statement "many bidders don't file in fear
of "negative" feedback reprisals"  ...the feedback system is a good one,
but not flawless.

Again, not knowing fake shells from others, and not knowing whether or
not the shells for sale by this seller are indeed fake/painted, and
perhaps to limit rumors, hearsay, and speculation...
   It seems that someone with "discretionary funds" [perhaps someone in
the industry wanting to help keep the market "clean"] could (or should!)
purchase one or more of these shells.   If they are fake/painted, you
could return them for a refund and knowledge gained (to share, first
hand!)   ...with some hassle, but perhaps no financial loss.  If they
are unaltered, perhaps you've purchased some nice shells!

Just a thought.
Paul