From:
Thomas Schlacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:04:58 +0000
Dear Conch-l Members

We have been running a little project looking at the pattern
of shell-boring by naticid sand snails on infaunal bivalves (Tellina
spp.). Both the predators and mussels are very abundant on the tidal
flats here and with as much as 50% of the mussel valves having drill
holes, the naticid predators seem to be an important force in shaping
the population dynamics of the mussels.

Trouble is that the taxonomy of the snails is rather vexing and we
have only limited access to published material on shell-drilling.

If anybody on the list happens to have information on the following
two points, this would help us a great deal:

(1) is there any recent information on the taxonomy of Pacific
Naticids, or even better, somebody working on the group at the
moment.

(2) I unearthed a reference regarding shell-drilling predation by
naticids (Kabat 1990 Predatory ecology of naticid gastropods with a
review of shell boring predation. Malacologia 32(1): 155-193). The
local library does not hold this journal and perhaps somebody has an
e-mail address of DR KABAT ???

Thanks a stack
Thomas

Thomas Schlacher PhD
Department of Biological Sciences
School of Pure & Applied Sciences
The University of the South Pacific
Suva, Fiji Islands
Tel +679 212236
Fax +679 315601
Email [log in to unmask]

*** Time is nature's way to prevent everything from happening at once ***
                 (T.A.S.' first anti-rush law)