From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:46:08 -0300
Ha! I was watching yesterday The Time Tunnel and they were sent back to Custer's time. One of the
Indians had a head band made with Cypraea moneta..... I thought, what a goof! So maybe indeed they
had those shells available somehow?

Just had to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I don't know the exact distribution of C. moneta but
Burgess gives it as almost to the coast of south America. So, it would not be unusual to have an
errant current bring it ashore at one time or another. People did travel farther than we modern
people give them credit for as well.
  Also, Reader's digest book on "America's Fascinating Indian Heritage" with Indian custom and lore
shows the Ojibwa life. The Midewiwin were the Grand Medicine Society- a group of men and women
skilled in the arts of healing. Their is a photo of their medicine kit with money cowries they
called migis. In addition,  the Ojibwas used these in the 18th century, long after the Spanish and
other traders hit the Americas. So, it is more than probable the cowries found their way to the
interior.
     Carole Marshall

Checked by AVG Free Edition.