From:
Eddy Wilmet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:58:50 +0200
Hi shellpeople,
I agree that Holo and Paratypes should be conserved in a Museum.
I've only one burning question,  in which museum?
Are all museum equal,  I dont think so.
Shouldn't there be some specific ruling appointing one or two specific
museums in each country and not every single museum which pretends to have a
malacological department.
This would make malacological studies easier and prevent you from running
around from one national museum to another (local, provincial or
state-museum)  in the same country.
Concerning buying or keeping the holo-para and other types, I think it's
rather a trivial discussion.
I've been extensively collecting for over 40 years one particular family and
only came across 2 or 3 of these shells.
My guess is that over 99,99% of the holo and paratypes are being kept in "a"
museum.
Any serious collector will donate his specimens to "a" museum.
I think collectors and scientists need to work together and show mutual
respect which is often not the case.
Greetings,

Eddy Wilmet