From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 00:42:23 -0400
I have what seems to be either Siratus pointieri. Merle, D. & B.
Garrigues, 2008 or a similar species, from deep water off Guadeloupe.
Can any of the Muricidae whizes on the list definitevely tell me which
species this photo - http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com/35867v.JPG
represents?  The gastropods.com photo -
http://www.gastropods.com/7/Shell_57317.html seems pretty close to me,
but i am told that Houart, who is as much a Muricidae expert as anyone,
has examined this lot and declared it to be an undescribed species
similar to pointieri.  I was also told that several populations from
various Carribean islands have surfaced with similar
charactaristics...... one is tempted to consider that they might be
local variants of the same species, similar to the several forms of
Cymbiolacca pulchra Sowerby.  What say the denzions of Conch-L?

 From a wet December night in New Scotland,
Ross Mayhew.
http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com/