From:
Dennis sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:28:33 -0400
Dear Marien,

There have been a few horror stories where greedy collectors have depleted
local populations. These have generally been individuals who were concerned
about the profit and not the animals. Most serious students of malacology
are aware of being responsible and limiting live collection of specimens. I
am one of those who have explored malacology as an unpaid passion for over
forty years. One of the most prolific contributors on Conchlist, and one of
our most respected malacologists is a retired medical doctor, who like me
has had a life long passion for this science.

I am disturbed by your comment about politicians and legislators being given
justification to ban ”amateur malacological research”. My amateur research
has continued for several decades and has resulted in 48 new taxa. I am
currently working on the description of five new species of Oliva. Most of
these have been found in museums and old collections. I do collect live
specimens, but this is rare. When I collect I take only what is needed,
generally less than 5 or 10 specimens. Depending upon the situation, I may
examine, photograph and release other specimens that are not needed.

Most recently, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is in the process of
attempting to apply the Lacey act to old ladies bringing in seashells in
their luggage from other countries. This would create felons out of
unknowing individuals whose only act is to appreciate the works of nature.
Most of these countries have their own wildlife regulations and belong to
CITIES. They regulate what can be sold and exported and conduct baggage
checks at departure points. Unfortunately, people with your mindset won’t be
happy until all animals are in a zoo or museum and no one can touch them.
When this day comes we will be a scientifically illiterate nation where
young generations will be barred from having the experience and/or the
motivation to study for a career in the biological sciences.

Sincerely,

Dennis M. Sargent, Retired Fire Chief, and possibly not entirely an amateur
malacologist, as we have sold a few books.