From:
Dennis sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:07:51 -0400
Dear Marlo,

The list below (Marlo's List) plus a few more are found throughout the
Caribbean and Gulf of  Mexico.
Oliva formosa Marrat, 1870 is the only one that represents the solid dark
brown form of another species, Oliva reclusa Marrat, 1871
At this point formosa, being the earlier name may take precedence over
reclusa. This will be studied and addressed in our new book.

Tursch missed the mark with his book and many valid species were lumped into
Oliva fulgurator (Röding, 1798).
Oliva fulgurator has one of the most limited ranges of the Caribbean Oliva.
It is found only in the Netherlands Antilles, Venezuela, Colombia and their
coastal islands.

Now back to the Gulf of Mexico.
Only the following species have actually been found in the Gulf:

Oliva sayana Ravenel, 1834
Oliva bifasciata Küster in Weinkauff, 1878
Oliva bifasciata sunderlandi Petuch, 1987

These would be the only species that would be affected by the recent oil
leak.

If you consider the Bay of Campeche part of the Gulf of Mexico, there are
two local forms, which are found only there. These are being reevaluated as
many more specimens have come to light in the past few years.

Oliva contoyensis Petuch and Sargent, 1986
Oliva maya Petuch and Sargent, 1986

Both Dr. Petuch and myself have been reviewing the volumes of material and
the critical museum collections to ensure that the second edition of our
Olive Book is as correct as possible. We have come a long way to where
technology allows us to correspond with other workers around the world,
almost instantaneously and send photographs and receive opinions.

Malacology is a dynamic science, what else can I say?

Best wishes,
Dennis Sargent