From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:10:13 -0400
Leslie,

The convention proper, after several days of field trips, begins at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, July 13, with programs in the afternoon.

The Welcome Reception is Wednesday evening at 6 p.m.  Dress like a pirate!

Thursday morning are club sales and set up prior to start of programs at 9 a.m., and programs until noon.  Thursday afternoon are the workshops, more on topics later.  You can sign up for two one hour workshops when you arrive. Thursday also has the shell displays (categories in your registration form).

The evening is the spectacular COA oral auction, one of the primary funding sources for the COA's grant award program, which previews at 6:30 p.m.  We have some unique shell related items in additilon to some great shells.  We are still in need of outstanding shells for the oral auction-contact me for questions. Remember all contributions to the COA a 501(c)(3) organization under U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)and the contributions are deductible subject to IRS requirements.

Friday are programs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., followed by the banquet, raffle drawing and annoucement of the shell display winners.  The display winners will receive an award made of Ordovician ammonites from Morocco, so bring shells to enter in the specified categories.

Saturday morning is the COA business meeting.  The world famous Bourse starts at 1 p.m. and runs to 9 p.m. and then Sunday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

There are some field trips during the evenings.  There are four silent auctions, one each Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and two on Friday.  There are wonderful door prizes each of those days for speakers and some even for the business meeting on Saturday.

In addition to the fine hotel restaurant, there are McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's within one block of the hotel.  There is a great diner/Greek restaurant (Zachary's) next door to the hotel,a pizza place and others places very close.  Only 1 1/2 miles away on the waterway where the cruise ships enter the port are several great seafood restaurants and others such as a barbeque place, which would be good if you have a car for lunch or dinner.

So questions? Write Doris Underwood ([log in to unmask]) or me.

Fair warning: watch out for pirates,pirate treasure, and mermaids! And we may have a Space Shuttle landing during the convention- which is not visible but is unique by two quick sonic booms which you would hear, that wake up call we here had at 2:30 a.m. this morning for the return of the last mission of Space Shuttle Endeavour.

Alan Gettleman
COA 2011 Convention Co-Chair
"Space Coast Treasurers"