From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:37:04 -0400
I would like to make two points. The first is that according to the ICZN
the holotype should be deposited in an institution that will protect it
and make it available for further study (Recommendation 16C). Since
paratypes are not name bearing types, the Code is silent on what becomes
of them. While I recognize the owners of these specimens can dispose of
them how they would like, I (and I can only speak for myself) would like
to see them deposited in "stable collections", for example a museum that
holds its collection as a public trust.

In the example that follows (from Rich's post) ICZN 72.4 and the example
cited in the Code, would suggest that these specimens are also paratypes
if they were seen by the describer.

>  On the flip side, and of almost equal value, are what have been coined
> shells from the "original series".  Essentially these are
> shells that were collected at the time of the type material, but are
> above and beyond a core group of needed type material.

My reading of this part of the Code is that any specimen that was studied
by one describing a new species whether cited as a type specimen in the
description, unless explicitly excluded, is a type, in this case a
paratype.

At the Carnegie Museum, there is one taxon with a holotype and over 200
paratypes. This is not counting the paratypes that were sent to other
institution. A lose of several paratypes from this taxon would hardly be
noticed. My (and again I speak for myself) difficulty is when I see that
in addition to the holotype there are only a few paratypes and these do no
get deposited in an appropriate institution. I would prefer that these be
placed in several institutions to preserve the type series. Again, despite
my desires, the owners of these specimens are free to dispose of them as
they would like and I while I might not like it, I will defend their right
to do so.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine