From:
Dale Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:11:37 -0400
Thanks to both of you for sharing this. I have a couple of Annette's Cowries collected dead that are almost fresh, but have a couple of dull spots on the surface. I always thought this was due to the shell deteriorating very fast once the creatures died.  I will try your advice and see if it works. Question? How often do I need to repeat the Liquid Gold treatment? Does it last longer than mineral oil?

---- mike gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

=============
Vicky,

I have many deer and measled cowries, all collected fresh dead. Once
dead, they very quickly begin to accumulate that "film". If the film is
not thick, this works:

Dilute some muriatic acid (from a pool supply store) about half and
half. In a basin with fresh running water, wipe (don't scrub) the shell
with the diluted acid (an old sock works well) and IMMEDIATELY flush off
the acid completely. Dry the shell and inspect. If there is still a
film, repeat. Once the "film" is gone, rub the shell with Scott's Liquid
Gold (furniture polish) and enjoy.

If that doesn't work, go find one that is fresher.