From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:33:21 -0400
Quoting Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/opinion/an-oyster-in-the-storm.html?_r=0
>

>  It never got scarier than those few ~50 mph gusts.

* yesterday we drove from North Bay to Ottawa, and then down towards
the St Lawrence, whence some maps showed the path of the storm going,
but never experienced any hurricane force winds. When we arrived here
last night, trees were lashing and leaves buffeting around, and we
parked the vehicle on the other side of the road in case one of our
big Sugar Maples dropped a limb on it. Before we got home the daughter
texted that she'd never seen it so windy here, but we're not sure that
was the case, because usually we worry about wind when the trees have
leaves (thunderstorms / microbursts) or are covered with ice, and with
the trees bare it's hard to compare how much they were affected.

The accounts of "9 metre" waves in Lake Erie certainly increases our
interest in going down there next month, to sample drift on Great
Lakes beaches and along streams.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book