Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:04:34 -0400
Linda, I'm glad you brought up your concern. I'm finding that occasionally I have the same problem with a few of the shells in our collection, too. A significant part of the bivalves in our collections are Pectinidae that were labeled between 60 and 80 years ago; your shell is one of the ones that frustrated me.

I took a break from struggling with our bivalves for just that reason.
I decided to concentrate on the gastropods, instead, since I know them better. The other day I found a snail that is listed in two families on WoRMS. Anyway, your shell was one of my problem ones, too.

Like you, I'm updating the names of our specimens as I create a digitized inventory list of what we have.

---- [log in to unmask] wrote:

Hi, All!

Can someone give me the correct genus for the tiny scallop 'benedicti' ?
I am getting two different ones, viz. Cryptopecten and Spathochlamys?

I am having a "great time" changing the genera on all of my Pectens.   I
don't think I'll make it for the gastropods.  Whoever winds up with them
can have the privilege.

Thanks,
Linda