From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:24:00 -0500
agreed, and it gets way tougher beyond these two species!

I have dietziana from Jim Moore dredgings 95mm off Egmont Key, FL in
the Gulf of Mexico.

re C contracta:   As noted in the Long Island Shell Club's Seashells
of Long Island (1988) recent  local  records were few and far between,
and always in small numbers. Subsequently we found a beach in Suffolk
County (Cedar Beach County Park, Southold, Peconic Bay) where we can
find large numbers consistently every time we visited in the fall
(during scallop season). Of the hundreds I got, the largest was
11.9mm. they were almost always restricted to an upper driftline where
they tended to wind up under rocks and gravel.... I have Suffolk
County shells from nearby Greenport, and North Haven; and one very
lucky find of a pair and single valve from Nassau County (bayside of
Jones Beach State Park) from 2001, after rough weather.