From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:31:03 -0500
On 1/29/2015 12:00 PM, David Kirsh wrote:

> I don't know about Excel but I'm concerned with the general problem of
> obsolescence which is in reality a problem of software incompatibility.

* the problem is that for a collection, you just need a table and the
ability to modify and navigate it - very many naturalists need to run
patches to sustain their databases, some as antique as dBase III. One of
the great cyber crimes was when Microsoft bought Foxpro, and made their
Visual Foxpro into developerware, too complex for a user to programme.
Foxpro had had a policy of being utterly backwards compatible, but this
didn't fit the microsoft policy of jerk-their-chain-for-profit, and I'm
now apparently limited to Windows 7 as the last windows that will run a
patch to run Foxpro - http://pinicola.ca/h2001a.htm#table

As much as possible, one should only use open-source software. "To
Linux, O intelligentsia! What part have we with for-profit corporations!"

fred.

> I use an older version of FileMaker, and, for photography, an older
> version of Photoshop. Since the newest versions of Mac don't support
> these, Microsoft Word and several other programs, I've partitioned my
> iMac into older and newer. I need to restart frequently to go to the
> partition I need. This is a temporary solution.
>
> Since the computer is going to be 6 years old, I'm thinking I'll need to
> keep the old one for database and photography work and a new computer
> for more current applications.
> I simply don't need newer, more complicated--and expensive--versions of
> Photoshop and FileMaker.
> Is anyone making a similar accommodation to this software dilemma, or is
> there a better fix short of using newer software versions with features
> I don't have time or inclination to use?
>
> David Kirsh
> Durham, NC
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 28, 2015, at 7:03 PM, [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> I remember awhile back some discussion about databases. Our old
>> computer has been replaced. We went from Microsoft Vista to Microsoft
>> 8.1. Not a big deal I thought until it became clear that 8.1 will not
>> read Vista files. Thank goodness we have hard copies and a CD with our
>> collection on it. Vista for all its faults had Works. Works had a
>> blank database and I created my own. I created individual records with
>> 12 fields and was able to print two records per page. From that I was
>> able to put it into spreadsheet form and was able to create other
>> reports. I’m 67 and not willing to spend a lot of money to purchase  a
>> program . I believe someone used Word Excel. Would like to hear from
>> some who has used Excel.
>> Thanks
>> Bob Granda
>> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> - a forum
>> for informal discussions on molluscs To leave this list, click on the
>> following web link:
>> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1 Type your email
>> address and name in the appropriate box and click leave the list.
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> - a forum for
> informal discussions on molluscs To leave this list, click on the
> following web link:
> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1 Type your email
> address and name in the appropriate box and click leave the list.

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/