From:
Cecil Bankston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2015 16:01:56 -0500
Thanks to Roland for the reply.  Since I receive Conch-L in digest form,
Marlo had forwarded that reply to me on Let's Talk Seashells, along with
this link to the gastropods.com page on Morula aspera:
http://www.gastropods.com/8/Shell_10008.shtml .  The gastropods.com
thumbnails show the first specimen on that page, which looks nothing
like my specimen.  Mine corresponds to the second row of pictures on
that page.  I would be interested in Roland's comments on the identity
of the other shells pictured there.

I know many species are quite variable; but I also suspect that many of
the shells pictured on the internet are misidentified.  I suppose it's a
pipe dream; but it would be great if an authoritative site such as WORMS
could include links for each accepted species to pictures that the
expert editors can validate as representative specimens of the species.
Hardy's Internet Guide to Marine Gastropods is a very valuable resource
for collectors. Unfortunately it seems to have to depend on the
identifications given by the suppliers of the pictures.  Some dealers
also post extensive, very helpful collections of specimen pictures; but
those also don't always have labels with correct identifications or
currently accepted names.  Of course, the same problem is seen in many
of the popular shell books I depend on for initial identifications.

I am very thankful for the many experts who contribute their knowledge
to Conch-L and the other shell forums to fill in the gaps left by the
books and the internet.

--
Cecil N. Bankston
Baton Rouge, LA