Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2016 17:22:34 -0400
Here in Arizona the '70's were a cooler/wetter decade than previous decades. The temps of the 1970's affected (skewed?) our averages for the last 40 years, and now that that decade is more than 30 years ago, our average temps are higher, and the wetness drier. So maybe now your East Coast climate may be warming again, and those species will now move back up north on the Atlantic Coast. Then again, maybe they won't?

---- "Robert R. Fales" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

To keep in shell-related mode, imagine the irony in reading the following in Jacobson and Emerson’s 1971 booklet “Shells From Cape Cod to Cape May (With Special Reference to the New York City Area).”

Littorina irrorata (Page 52):  “Sometimes on the beaches in New York one can find a dead, broken shell . . . .  These pitiful specimens are apparently the only signs still remaining of this snail, once abundant on these shores.  Some believe that it has vanished because of the increasing coldness of our offshore waters.”

Noetia ponderosa (Page 76):  “The last of our ark shells has not been found alive north of Cape Hatteras, but dead single valves are not uncommon on the south shore beaches of Long Island.  Like Littorina irrorata, they probably died out here as the waters turned colder.”

I am told that there is a population of Littoraria irrorata in the Stone Harbor, NJ, area, but I have not been able to validate, despite searching.  There may . . . may . . . be a small population in the Lewes, DE, area; several years ago I saw from a distance what might have been L. irrorata clinging to partially submerged Spartina stems at high tide – I was not in a situation where I could go wading, however, so could not confirm.

Bob Fales

Edison, NJ