From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:47:00 -0500
Lynn Scheu wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Isn't it true that the color bands in many land shells is composed of
> periostracum, and that periostracum being organic, will be eradicated by
> bleach? Is this true of all land shells or just certain groups, and if so,
> can someone tell us which ones are bleach-susceptible?  I seem to remember
> that all Liguus are colored by their periostracum.

Hello!

Hi Lynn and all,

_Liguus_ are NOT colored by their periostracum. The _Liguus_
periostracum is very thin and transparent. The colors are in the shell
material and as usual the darks last longer than the yellows, that is,
fade with light and time.  Bleach will affect the coloring but it is
senseless and innane to soak a _Liguus_ in bleach. Some _Liguus_ have
cuticular green lines which lie on top of the periostracum and can be
scraped off with your fingernail. This is true of all of the _Liguus_
and related snails, _Orthalicus_, _Drymaeus_, etc.
--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;