From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 10:25:55 +0000
Hi Bill and Milan,

yes, there are true differences. Bill describes the differences beteween
both populations and having seen hundreds of each population, my experience
is that the average size is larger in the Indian ones, but the top sizes
(160 mm up) come from Mozambique in most cases.
The name clytospira I personally use for the shells from near the Persian
Gulf, they are in general much smaller, seldomexceed 110 mm and most have
solid bands of purple. These are the ones collected most often about 15-20
years ago and now only found in collections.
As well in India as in Mozambique, perfect shells are one out of a hundred.
Reasonably nice ones you get a dozen/hundred. Most have severe growth scars.

Guido

>Hi Jasna,
>
>The authors of the Manual of Living Condidae  believe there are differences
>in these shells.  They call the ones from Natal to the Red Sea Conus
>milneedwardsi milneedwardsi and the shells from Pakistan to India and Sri
>Lanka Conus milneedwardsi clytospira.  The full text on pages 314 and 315
>and figures should be consulted if you have the book.
>
>If you don't have access to the book, the African form is brown and white
>while the Indian form has "pink" bands in the background.  The Indian form
>is also supposed to be, on  average, smaller than the African form.  I am
>not sure of this as the biggest specimens I have seen on lists and in
>collections are from India.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Bill Fenzan
>Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/go/iconography/index.html