CILIATEMOLBIO-L Archives

Ciliate Molecular Biology

CILIATEMOLBIO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
John Kloetzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:43:41 -0500
To all protist colleagues:  Due to my impending retirement from active
research on my pet ciliate, Euplotes, I am disbursing my stocks of several
Euplotes species, and one Oxytrichid.  The attachment lists those strains
available, and their origins and preferred (lab) foods.  All are freshwater,
although one (E. woodruffi) was adapted from a local brackish water collection.

If anyone is interested in receiving any of these strains, please contact me
(best first by phone) and I can ship them to you.  I will be moving across
country this spring, and do not intend to take any cells with me.

Soon I will also be dispensing some of my stocks of antibodies against
Euplotes cytoskeletal proteins that I have made.  Monoclonals and
polyclonals against PLATEIN proteins, and polyclonals against a basal body
scaffold protein that I have dubbed CAGEIN (Mss in preparation).  If you
think these could be of use in your work, again please contact me.

I don't see any way to add an attachment to this message, so I'll paste in
the contents of my strain list!   JK

Kloetzel Euplotes stocks (December 2006) -- for distribution:

1.  E. aediculatus  (European strain, from France: Ammermann collection,
originally, circa 1963)
2.  E. aediculatus (North American strain, from Colorado: Prescott
collection, Teller Lake)
3.  E. woodruffi (my isolate, from the Magothy River, MD, USA; brackish
water, adapted to fresh)
4.  E. eurystomus (my species ID, likely correct; from Carolina Biological
Co., North Carolina, USA)
5.  E. muscorum (my isolate, from a potted fern plant; small encysting
species) whose SSU-rDNA we recently deposited to Genbank.
6.  E. octocarinatus (my isolate, from Library Lake, UMBC, Baltimore, MD,  USA)

The first four species are large; I feed them Tetrahymena, although they can
survive fine on bacteria or on algae like Chlorogonium.  The last two
species are too small for Tetrahymena; they can live on bacteria, or on
smaller prey such as the flagellate Chilomonas.

I also have a very robust strain of an Oxytrichid, likely Sterkiella, that
encysts and excysts beautifully. They also exhibit the typical behavior when
food is scarce of becoming a very pleiomorphic culture -- varieties of
sizes, with most cells regulating their size downward, and being consumed by
their enlarging cannibal giant sisters.

If interested in any of these strains, contact John Kloetzel before Feb. 2007;