CILIATEMOLBIO-L Archives

Ciliate Molecular Biology

CILIATEMOLBIO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Alexis Chaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:01:52 -0500
Hi Everyone,
I was hoping that someone out there can give me a bit of insight into
Tetrahymena thermophila in its natural environment since very few studies
address this.
I have two questions:
1) How often do you take samples and don't get any T. thermophila? Another
way to think of this is how ubiquitous is it in a broad variety of ponds,
lakes, etc....
2) Is its usual habitat often connected to other ponds by streams - and if
so, do you think they ever disperse through streams or is it just transfer
by other means (duck's feet, etc...)?
3) If you go collect in the wild, how many different species do you get in a
small sample (maybe by volume....very roughly)?
4) In a single sample, how many mating types do you find among the T.
thermophila?

Thanks again for all your excellent past and future help!
Cheers,
Alexis Chaine