From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 11:15:45 -0700
I think you are correct!  I just received a few small ones from a friend and
put them in my goldfish aquarium.  Hobbyists who keep them consider Pomacea the
correct name for the genus - in the family Ampullariidae.  In some parts of the
world (including Florida I think) they cannot be kept because of their rampant
nature, however in cooler climates they can easily be obtained.  They are
tropical snails and cannot survive the winter in many places.
I found a nice website about them, and some of you might be interested in
learning a bit more about them, even if you don't want to keep them:
http://huizen.dds.nl/~snc/

Happy New Year from now very cold Calgary,Alberta (our December 'summer' is now
over and the redpolls,chickadees, nuthatches, magpies and downy woodpecker are
all making good use of the bird feeders)